Friday, May 5, 2017

The Peace Roses



I am trying to grow a climbing peace rose in my garden.  The main plant has died years ago but before it died a branch had broken off and I planted it.  I was so glad I did as it has been growing steadily every year.  The rose got it name in 1944 one month after the liberation of France from the Pacific Rose Society as a request from it’s developer Papa Meilland.  During the war he had sent cuttings to several countries and only Italy, Germany, and the United States received the cuttings.  The Italian gardener were so impressed by the rose that they called it Giola meaning joy and the German gardeners called it Gloria Dei or the Glory of God.  The Americans like peace and chose it in honor of the rose developer.
Papa Meilland produced the rose from a mix between a rose named in the honor of his mother and another rose.   Madame A. Meilland is one of the parents to the peace rose.
Screenshot_70
I have not seen my rose bloom yet as the branch though mature enough to plant was a small one. Roses are great for cuttings and do best with a year old branch.  My daughter and I have grown many by cuttings.
Anyway, here is a shot if it in my garden along with some of the raspberries and what I think is a muskadine grape.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friends

Friends lovely bird songs everywhere bees buzzing by children’s laughter in the air as the breeze floats by dogs bar...